On the first day of the 2023 CV Show at Birmingham’s NEC (Tuesday 18 April), RHA MD Richard Smith in association with road transport software experts, Mandata, launched a quest to find the UK’s kindest town.
Commenting he said: “A little kindness goes a long way and can make all the difference to people’s lives. It doesn’t have to be a grand gesture – just kind a word at the right time.
“We at the RHA care passionately about our members and that’s why we’re pleased to support Mandata’s mission to find the UK’s kindest town.
“For hauliers that little bit of kindness from towns and people can make the difference between an ordinary day and a very good day. That’s why we’re pleased to support the competition to find out which UK town is the kindest, as voted for by the hauliers themselves.
“We hope that three months of continuous campaigning will help to improve attitudes towards, and facilities for, HGV drivers. Not to mention the mental health benefits they will get from being appreciated and being shown patience and kindness on the roads.”
Key industry influencers on social media will also be brought onboard to ensure as many hauliers as possible see it and get involved with the voting process. We will also be asking primary schools to enter a piece of art that celebrates truckers. It can be a song, painting, drawing, a poem, a story or maybe even a cake. We will also be asking KS2 primary schools to enter a piece of art that celebrates HGV drivers.
By following this link, https://www.mandata.co.uk/kindtown/ hauliers can vote for what they consider to be their kindest town according to following criteria:
- Access to amenities, for example, the use of toilets at depots, distribution centres and other delivery sites
- Access to location, with no time or weight restrictions that slow deliveries.
- Good areas to park safely where they can rest and shower.
- Good, easy access to food and fuel.
- The kindness of local townspeople during one-to-one interactions (positive attitude, etc)
- The kindness of local people on the surrounding roads (courteous, safe driving, etc.)